2UP Games Limited
At 2UP Games, we make co-op mobile games for a massive audience.
Our mission is to bring the joy of cooperation to hundreds-of-millions of players. Our games are great to play with strangers. They’re even better with family and friends.
We’re a remote-first studio, backed by Supercell. We offer the adventure of a startup, with the backing of the biggest name in mobile games.
Job Description - Senior Server Developer
You’ll join our game development team as the principal server developer. You’ll be dealing with multiplayer code, persistence, matchmaking, lobbies, meta, and scaling.
Current state of project: We have a 20-player real-time prototype. It’s a fresh, casual take on co-op.
Because the gameplay is different from anything else on the market, you’ll be bumping into new challenges. And meeting old challenges that you’ll want to do better / faster / cleverer this time around.
Under the hood, the server is a .NET Core application running as a SignalR hub on a Azure VM. Final tech stack choices are up for discussion.
You’ll have one eye on current requirements (“how can we make it work this sprint”) and one eye to the future (“how will this scale to 250k CCU?”).
- Make game features: Each sprint is different! In our prototype, we’ve done procedural generation, P2P comms, server-owned movement (with interpolation), and ensuring everything runs threaded and synchronised.
- Build for Scale: What tech do we use? How do we scale it? How do we minimise time spent on DevOps? How will it work at 10M DAU?
- Empower teammates: Create powerful tools, simple pipelines, happy peers.
- Prototype: You’ll help the team to answer design questions quickly, using the right degree of rigour.
- Own quality: All team members own game quality. We aim for understandable code, and builds that succeed.
- Collaborate on Tech: Knowing when to hand over to a client developer, and when to write the features yourself. We encourage every team member to get fluent in Unity.
- Nurture Our Games: We aim to develop a hit game, then grow it as a stable live service. This will occasionally involve making fixes out-of-hours.
- Skill Up: Use all your skills to make better games. Want to extend into design, product or management? We gotcha.
- Collaborate on Design: We all have a voice in the games we make. You’ll be involved in suggesting, refining and elaborating on the creative ideas that make our games special.
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- 3+ years of server development for mobile games
- You have the right to work in New Zealand or Australia.
- 3+ years working in teams sized 3-15
- Some experience with client or “full stack” development, even if it is just “I’ve done game jams.”
- Experience working in a structured Agile environment, such as Agile Scrum or kanban.
- Experience in a live service environment.
- Literacy in mobile gameplay and progression systems.
You’ll be a founding employee. What does this mean?
- You get excited about bringing people together through co-op games.
- You may not know much about co-op (yet!), but you are pumped by the challenge of making co-op work on mobile.
- You’ll model and improve our employee values. Have a look at them (below) and see if they sit right with you.
- You’ll be invested in improving your studio. And you’ll want to share the upside when things go right for the company – ask us for more info on equity options.
- You’ll help us improve our remote-working model. We want this to be the place where we do the best work of our careers. How can you help?
- You’ll see boring health and safety statements and raise a wry smile. But seriously, please do take care of your home office environment. You’ll get a budget to ensure you have great gear. Use it, align it, and your body will thank you for it. Any questions, just ask.
This is a startup, does that mean I’ll work crazy hours?
We want the team to be happy and productive for the long haul. We balance a sensible baseline with the occasional need to push hard.
- Baseline of 40 hours per week.
- Some flexibility when you work the hours within a week.
- Occasional surges around milestone releases.
- Once a game is released - rostered time “on call” to respond if there are problems.
These values describe how we aim to work at 2UP Games.
- We’re Considerate – We’re trying to do something hard, together. Take the time to help your co-workers achieve their dreams. Collaborate compassionately, critique respectfully, and listen deeply.
- We’re Motivated – We are pioneers, motivated from within. We work to support everyone’s productivity. And we never lose sight of the goal: shipping our games to millions of delighted players.
- We’re Individuals – Find the awesome, your way. Bring yourself to work: your strengths, your quirks, and your ways of getting things done. Be your best self, no one else.
Co-Op Secret Sauce
Making a co-op mass-market mobile game is challenging. Our Co-Op Secret Sauce is our collected knowledge of how to best rise to this challenge. Our best guess at the current key secret sauce ingredients are listed below.
- Connecting – everything should bring players together. This is the most important ingredient.
- Inclusive – our games whisper “it’s for you!” to hundreds of millions of players.
- Rewarding – whether players invest seconds or years, our games give a deep feeling of reward.
- FOREVER – built to be played for years.
Our secret sauce will develop and change over time. You’ll help make it tastier. And secret-er.
The Mission is: “Bring family and friends together through co-op mobile games.”
- We aim for hundreds-of-millions of players, on the world’s biggest platform.
- Players will have a “connecting” experience. Playing our games helps create and maintain interpersonal connections in our players’ lives.
- We believe the “Co-Op Secret Sauce” is key to achieving the mission.
The Mission may change over time. Your commitment is to maximise our chance of achieving the latest version of The Mission. It’s why we exist.
Drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your CV and why you’re interested in the job.