2UP Games Limited
At 2UP Games, we make co-op mobile games for a massive audience.
Our mission is to bring the joy of cooperation to hundreds-of-millions of players. Our games are great to play with strangers. They’re even better with family and friends.
We’re a team of eight game-making veterans, united by a love of co-op. We’re always looking for talented and experienced people to join the mission.
We’re a remote-first studio, backed by Supercell. We offer the adventure of a startup, with the backing of the biggest name in mobile games.
Job Description - Senior Artist
As a Senior Artist at 2UP Games, you’ll be bringing our game to life with appealing heroes, enemies, and environments.
This is a hands-on role, running the full gamut of 2D art, including concepting, production illustrations, rigging, and animating. You’ll be joining an art team whose skills can complement yours, so don’t worry if you can’t tick all the boxes. If you’re a Senior Artist with shipped mobile titles then we want to hear from you.
- Mass Appeal with Edge: Develop visually-striking original art that resonates with a huge audience.
- Collaborate: Give and take feedback professionally. Team up with programmers, designers, and UI artists to bring the game to life.
- Work “On-Style”: When a game has an established style, you are able to stick to it and improve it gracefully.
- Concepting: Create heroes, enemies, and environments that are at home in the game world, and reinforce the game pillars.
- 2D Production Illustration: Bring concepts to life in the game, with one eye on impact, and another on file size. (Hopefully you won’t go too cross-eyed!)
- 2D Animation: Use Spine to add feedback and personality to the game.
- Prototyping: Help the team answer questions with the right placeholders at the right time. Know when to cut corners to move quickly.
- Target Renders: Show the team how great the game could look when done. Or create mockups for testing on the App Store.
- 5 years professional experience producing art for mobile games
- Shipped 2+ mobile games
- Can work independently to produce high quality work within strict timeframes
- You have the right to work in New Zealand or Australia
- 3+ years working in teams sized 3-15
- Experience working in a structured Agile environment, such as Agile Scrum or kanban
- Experience using Unity
You’ll be a founding employee. What does this mean?
- You get excited about bringing people together through co-op games.
- You may not know much about co-op (yet!), but you are pumped by the challenge of making co-op work on mobile.
- You’ll model and improve our employee values. Have a look at them (below) and see if they sit right with you.
- You’ll be invested in improving your studio. And you’ll want to share the upside when things go right for the company – ask us for more info on equity options.
- You’ll help us improve our remote-working model. We want this to be the place where we do the best work of our careers. How can you help?
- You’ll see boring health and safety statements and raise a wry smile. But seriously, please do take care of your home office environment. You’ll get a budget to ensure you have great gear. Use it, align it, and your body will thank you for it. Any questions, just ask.
This is a startup, does that mean I’ll work crazy hours?
We want the team to be happy and productive for the long haul. We balance a sensible baseline with the occasional need to push hard.
- Baseline of 40 hours per week.
- Some flexibility when you work the hours within a week.
- Occasional surges around milestone releases.
- Once a game is released – rostered time “on call” to respond if there are problems.
These values describe how we aim to work at 2UP Games.
- We’re Considerate – We’re trying to do something hard, together. Take the time to help your co-workers achieve their dreams. Collaborate compassionately, critique respectfully, and listen deeply.
- We’re Motivated – We are pioneers, motivated from within. We work to support everyone’s productivity. And we never lose sight of the goal: shipping our games to millions of delighted players.
- We’re Individuals – Find the awesome, your way. Bring yourself to work: your strengths, your quirks, and your ways of getting things done. Be your best self, no one else.
Co-Op Secret Sauce
Making a co-op mass-market mobile game is challenging. Our Co-Op Secret Sauce is our collected knowledge of how to best rise to this challenge. Our best guess at the current key secret sauce ingredients are listed below.
- Connecting – everything should bring players together. This is the most important ingredient.
- Inclusive – our games whisper “it’s for you!” to hundreds of millions of players.
- Rewarding – whether players invest seconds or years, our games give a deep feeling of reward.
- FOREVER – built to be played for years.
Our secret sauce will develop and change over time. You’ll help make it tastier. And secret-er.
The Mission is: “Bring family and friends together through co-op mobile games.”
- We aim for hundreds-of-millions of players, on the world’s biggest platform.
- Players will have a “connecting” experience. Playing our games helps create and maintain interpersonal connections in our players’ lives.
- We believe the “Co-Op Secret Sauce” is key to achieving the mission.
The Mission may change over time. Your commitment is to maximise our chance of achieving the latest version of The Mission. It’s why we exist.
Drop us a line on email@example.com. Please include your CV, a link to your portfolio, and why you’re interested in the job.