AI Creator Job Description
Remote (New Zealand & Australia)
About 2UP Games
We’re an “AI-empowered games studio”. We make mobile games, using the most game-changing tech since the original iPhone.
We believe in putting the creative power of Generative AI into the hands of players. We’re excited about delivering fresh takes and whole new categories of games that were not even possible a year ago. And our own team is just as creatively empowered by AI. By embracing this, we are equipped to compete with teams 10x the size.
Our first AI-empowered game incorporates live AI image generation on a custom backend. Our players collaborate artistically with Generative AI, expressing themselves in new and wonderful ways.
We’re a remote-first studio, backed by Supercell. We offer the adventure of a startup, with the backing of the biggest name in mobile games.
We’re a team of ten game-making veterans. We have employees from Magic Leap, Space Ape, Immutable, PikPok and more! We’re on a journey to become the studio best placed to make “the next big game” on mobile, using cutting-edge tech, the best craft, and the best team. Are you up for it?
About the Role
Being a team of “veterans” can be a disadvantage when the world is changing so rapidly. Our studio is packed with AI believers and evangelists, but the rules of game development are being rewritten.
We’re looking for an “AI Native” – someone who lives and breathes creating with generative AI. Someone who wants to open up new opportunities for players.
What would that person do?
- Be a cheerleader for new tools, and new ways of creating. You’ll be the “AI Native” in a studio of people who have transitioned to AI.
- Be at expert level at a selection of ML / GenAI Tools. Note that you don’t need to be an AI researcher. We’re much more interested in evidence of the interesting outcomes you’ve produced with ML / GenAI.
- Find ways players can create using our games that goes beyond their wildest dreams
- Generate content for our games: new challenges for players, text, artwork, CMS content or even data analysis
- Help us be industry leaders with our AI Policy, using this incredible technology responsibly and safely
You may not come from a traditional games development background. Your key to an interview is an amazing portfolio, showreel, website or social media presence that demonstrates what you can do with generative AI.
You’ll be joining a game whose skills can complement yours, so don’t worry if you can’t tick all the boxes.
- Collaborate: Give and take feedback professionally. Team up with programmers, designers, artists and UX specialists to bring the game to life.
- Respect Traditional Craft: We respect the value of building IP, human inspiration and perspiration.
- Help us Transform: We’re into AI, but many of us have years of experience making mobile games. You’ll help open our eyes to the possibility space.
We’re unsure exactly what sort of background the successful applicant will have. But we do know they’ll be great at creation and collaboration. You’ll need to show:
- A high-quality portfolio showcasing interesting, high-quality content or systems generated with AI, such as:
◦ Stable Diffusion / Midjourney / equivalent
◦ ChatGPT / VertexAI / equivalent
◦ ML / Python / other data equivalent
- Can work independently to produce high quality work within strict timeframes
- You have the right to work in New Zealand or Australia
- 3+ years working in teams sized 3-15
- Experience working in a structured Agile environment, such as Agile Scrum or kanban
- Experience using Unity
- Interest in contributing to Startup & Social Stuff (team events, studio branding, etc.)
This is a startup, does that mean I’ll work crazy hours?
We want the team to be happy and productive for the long haul. We balance a sensible baseline with the occasional need to push hard.
- Baseline of 37 hours per week
- We finish early on Fridays
- Some flexibility when you work the hours within a week
- Occasional surges around milestone releases
- Once a game is released – rostered time “on call” to respond if there are problems
These values describe how we aim to work at 2UP Games.
- We’re Considerate – We’re trying to do something hard, together. Take the time to help your co-workers achieve their dreams. Collaborate compassionately, critique respectfully, and listen deeply.
- We’re Motivated – We are pioneers, motivated from within. We work to support everyone’s productivity. And we never lose sight of the goal: shipping our games to millions of delighted players.
- We’re Individuals – Find the awesome, your way. Bring yourself to work: your strengths, your quirks, and your ways of getting things done. Be your best self, no one else.
Drop us a line on email@example.com. Please include your CV, a link to your portfolio, and why you’re interested in the job.